directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why I think Spring + xbean is wrong ...
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:59:57 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Oh Ole I'm trying to get this EMF stuff but I'm just not groking it -
> still need to back up and read these long emails.  Thanks for not giving
> up on us - I know the EMF concepts you talk about are valuable
> especially when we really trick studio out the way I dream of.

Thanks for not blocking me as Spam on the mail list :-).  I know when you are doing a big
bang, and this Ole guy starts proposing a big bang on top of the big bang, it can be a little
over the top.

One thing I can do to make it simpler is just create a simple little hello world for it, that
will demo the key capabilities that I think will be most valuable for the directory project.
 Starting with the simplest XML Schema possible, so that it's much easier to see what's going
on and relate the inputs to the outputs.  The XBean Schema generated something like 40 implementation
classes (Impl posftixed classes), plus corresponding interfaces.  Even though these are the
configuration beans, it's still pretty intensive to think about how the graph of all of those
are constructed from loading server.xml, in addition to general EMF design concepts, which
is all pattern based.

But before we invest time in general, we need to make sure we agree on an understanding of
the process in which EMF would be used, the the general requirements it imposes on server
components, such that everyone has a chance to see whether they would enjoy that type of development
style.

One thing you mentioned was storing the configuration in the DIT.  With the LDAP DAS that
would be instant.  Just load the generated model with server.xml, pass it to DAS.save(model)
(model is a reference to the Object that is the root element of server.xml), and it's instantly
in the DIT.  Restoring it from the DIT is the same.  DAS.load("DN of root server.xml element");
 So there's all sorts of benefits like that end up being enabled, through use of EMF.

One question that probably should come up during the JPOX collaboration is whether it can
support a similar capability.

So once the dust settle a little, I'll be glad to help further our understanding of ways EMF
could be leveraged.

Have a terrific weekend,
- Ole