directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why I think Spring + xbean is wrong ...
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2008 08:43:57 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Do we need a container technology ? The 0.8 version was working
>> without this IoC crap. IoC is, IMHO, hyper over hyped... But this is
>> another debate !
>
> I think a container should not be necessary, if ApacheDS is embedded.
> In this case, every additional dependency will add burden to those who
> plan to integrate it in their applications.
>
> I thought this was basically the idea of using the Spring Framework.
Back three years ago, when Spring was injected into ADS, I think this
was just because it was "SO COOL !!!"

Ok, I know I'm a little bit old fashionned, but this saved my life more
than once :) When you think we had AOP into the server ... ;)

Now, what is bothering me the more is different :
- how to ease the Studio team work when dealing with the conf
- how to stabilize the configuration to avoid rewritting the doco every
month
- and more important : how to help users dealing with configuration !

I think that point #3 goes well with point #1. When you are a beginner,
a good GUI helps.

Thanks Stefan !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny