directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Apache DS] Thoughts on Apache DS installation layouts
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:59:06 GMT
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> *• Linux
> *We only have a RPM installer at the moment (Binary and DEB installers
> are on the way).
> In a discussion today with Emmanuel, he suggested a few changes to the
> Linux installation layout to enable a "cleaner" installation (and be
> able to run multiple version of ADS at the same time for example).
This is somehow a specific need, as I wan't to run more than one ADS on
a server (typically to run some perftests), but I see other
possibilities, like having a MMR system with more than one instance on
the same server, or more than one version of the server, etc...

> Here are his proposals:
>
>     * the server files would remain at: "/opt/apacheds-${version}/".

Fine with me.

>     * the instances files could be placed at
>       "/var/lib/apacheds-${version}".

one sub-directory per instance.

>     * the pid files could be placed at
>       "/var/run/apacheds-${version}/${instance}/${instance}.pid".

Well, I don't really think we need a sub-directory per instance.
Something like :
/var/run/apacheds-${version}/${instance}.pid
should be enough.

>     * the log file could be placed at
>       "/var/log/apacheds-${version}/${instance}/".

fine.

Also consider the possibility that we will only have one single instance
of a server. I then would like to have such directories :

/opt/apacheds
/var/lib/apacheds
/var/logs/apacheds
/var/run/apacheds

Last, not least, we also have to deal wit the daemons. I see two
different approaches here :
1) one daemon which takes a version/instance parameter. This is ok if
you wtart the server by hand, but not an option if the server has to be
started at boot
2) one daemon per instance. Heavy, but at least you can start all the
instances at boot.

> I also want to add to his proposals, the fact that we could add the
> version to the path of installation directory on Windows (like that
> "C:\\Program Files\Apache Directory Server - ${version}\").
This is for W$, so I have nothing to say ;)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org