directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Community] JPOX: LDAP and JDO, JPA
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:35:45 GMT
Hi Erik !

Erik Bengtson wrote:
> Dear,
>
> We, JPOX a data access project, are working on an interface for LDAP via JDO
> and JPA APIs.
>
> Usage e.g. SELECT FROM Person where firstName == 'Ana'
>
> Person.class is linked to "ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com" while attributes
> mapped to fields.
>
> We currently support 1-1 and 1-N relationships and will soon have a first
> release.
>
> We currently use Apache Directory for running our tests. If you see any
> opportunity for collaboration between our projects please let us know.

The fact is that we really think that LDAP can be a perfect substitute
for RDBMS when manipulation complex data type and/or hierarchical data.
Many of the O/R mapping problems can simply be solved if those data can
be stored into a LDAP server, and performance can even be much better in
this case, due to the intrinsic structure of a LDAP backend.

The main problem is that LDAP protocol is really limitated, and scares a
lot of developpers. A layer like the one you are developping can help a
lot, for sure.

ADS is also implementing some features like Store procedures and
Triggers which are a major addition to the basic protocol, as you now
can process some in-server operations which were impossible to manage on
a pure LDAP server (for instance, delete cascade can be implemented this
way, otherwise you will have to do multiple requests from the client to
the server, which is overkilling).

So, yes, there are many ways we can collaborate, that's for sure !

Considering that both ADS and JPox are ASL.2 licensed, there are no
limitation I can see from the legal POV, too.

That being said, let's try to move to the next step : where do we start ? ;)

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com