directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why I think Spring + xbean is wrong ...
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 10:27:37 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> I do think that we went far too far.
>>
>> wdyt ?
>
> Let me first say that I really liked the idea of making configuration
> of ApacheDS simpler form a user (e.g. administrator) perspective. The
> xbean approach did a good job here, the files are shorter and more
> expressive.
I will temper my initial mail : xbean has some advantage : it generates
a XSD. But the indirection is still a PITA...
> Unfortunately, some ports of the configuration are comparable
> complicated to the 1.0 pure Spring world (or even more complex).
>
> For instance:
>     <!-- The desired quality-of-protection, used by DIGEST-MD5 and
> GSSAPI.  -->
>     <saslQop>
>       <value
> xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans">auth</value>
>       <value
> xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans">auth-int</value>
>       <value
> xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans">auth-conf</value>
>     </saslQop>
It can be replaced by :

<spring:beans xmlns:spring="http://xbean.apache.org/schemas/spring/1.0"
              xmlns:s="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"
<!-- Added NameSpace declaration -->
              xmlns="http://apacheds.org/config/1.0">
    <saslQop>
      <s:value>auth</s:value>
      <s:value>auth-int</s:value>
      <s:value>auth-conf</s:value>
    </saslQop>

Much simpler ...

> The question I asked myself when xbean was introduced: Isn't it
> possible  to use our own namespace and use pure Spring 2.0
> functionality for that to make configuration easier? This has been
> done with transactions, AOP etc. in Spring itself.
>
> Perhaps we can obtain a comparable result with native Spring features,
> and avoid the dependency to xbean.
>
> http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.0.x/reference/extensible-xml.html

May be... This has to be explored.

> Whether this will conflict with Emmanuel's requirement to make
> configuration easier to parse/edit with Studio -- I have not thought
> about that yet.
The thing is that we have one major problem with Spring + xbean : when
you want to debug the server, from the initialization point, it's a real
PITA, as the flow is not know unless you have the server.xml and the 1.0
mapping file open on the same screen (and I don't have a 40" screen on
my laptop ...).

Another point is that we have mixed configuration laoding and
initialization, which is, from my POV, a bad mistake.

I know that some will disagree with me, and it's fine, as soon as I just
express some frsutration I have. That does not mean I'm right ! But I
want to make it clear that if I'm frustrated with what we have, then
there is some chance that new committers will find it frustrating too...

Thanks Stefan !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com