directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why I think Spring + xbean is wrong ...
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:38:49 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Ole Ersoy wrote:
>> Hey Emmanuel,
> hey OLE,
>
> I'm not going to comment everything you wrote, just because I don't have
> more than a 100 Kfeet vision of what EMF is and can do.
>
> You think that EMF is the ultimate solution, but I don't have time to
> read the thousands of pages I have found about EMF on the web.

Yeah - Some of the material can be simplified a great deal I think / broken down into simpler
use cases.

> Here is what I suggest : can you just provide some working sample using
> EMF ?
>
> What we need is :
> - a file will contain ADS configuration (server.xml)

For this we just need to grab the server.xml Schema and generate the corresponding EMF beans
from it.  I can do this and check it into my sandbox.  Anyone have a quick link to the server.xml
xsd schema?

> - we should be able to read it easily on Studio (without writing a hand
> crafted XML parser)
That's easy.  In addition to generating a model, EMF can generate Eclipse plugins, including
an editor for the model, that Studio team could use the editor plugin as an example for how
to interact with the model.  The generated editor comes with undo,redo,save,etc. so most of
the base functionality is already there.
> - we should be able to produce this same file on Studio
Also easy.  Studio would just create a uninitialized instance of the model and serialize it.
 This takes about 3 lines of code...I'll make sure to point them out when it's done.
> - we should be able to read this file in ADS, validating it and tells
> explicitely where we have errors

I know this is what the EMF framework is for, so using it would be an added plus for the Studio
team I think.  I'm not an expert on it, but I'll do my best to find answers on how to better
provide validation feedback whenever encountered.  The EMF ecore editor uses this extensively,
and the feedback is great.  There are two tabs in the editor.  If the parser encounters invalid
feedback, it displays it in the feedback tab.

> - we should then be able to use the generated objects in a simple way
> (for instance, int port = config.getServerPort(); or Interceptor
> schemaInterceptor = config.getInterceptor( "schema" ); )
Yup - Works just like that.  Also if you need a configuration object several layers down in
the containment hierarchy, you can use XPath expression...something like resource.getObject("/rootElement/nextLevel/objectIwant);

Now I just have to find the server.xml schema.  If anyone has a quick link to it, that would
be great.

Cheers,
- Ole