directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AVLTree performance numbers
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 14:15:42 GMT
Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

> hi,
>
>     Below given are some of the numbers obtained by comparing the
> current implementation of AVL tree against the RB tree underlying
>     the java.util.HashSet.
>     Comparison of Insert operation in milli seconds
> No. of Nodes    1000     10,000   100,000
> HashSet              1            10           425
> AVLTree           18           68           624
>
> The time taken for both lookup and remove operations is same for both
> AVLTree and RBTree
>
> Configuration of my system is - 512MB RAM and Celeron processor
> (ThinkPad R51 running Ubuntu 6.06)
>
> Please suggest, should this be improved further?
Just for completness, I would like to see a test with 10 000 000
elements... Is it possible ?

Also, that would be interesting to test with other JVMs (I guess you are
using SUN 1.6 JVM), like :
- Sun 1.5.0_14
- Sun 1.6.0_b4
- Sun 1.7
- IBM 5.0
- IBM 6.0
- JRockit 5.0
- JRockit 6.0

I have all those JVMs installed somewhere on a server, I can run the
test if you post the code !

Thanks :)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny