directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Ldif loader move ?
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:55:38 GMT

On Mar 17, 2008, at 2:09 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while checking the configuration, I saw that the LdifLoader methods
> (ldif files can be loaded during the startup sequence) belong to
> the ApacheDS class. I think they are more likely to belong to
> DirectoryService, so I just want to know if there is any kind of
> objection if I move the related code to this class.

My comments are based on my recollection that ApacheDS is the "top
level" class that coordinates the protocol components and the engine,
and DirectoryService is the engine.  If I'm wrong.... tell me.

I don't think that loading ldif files is a core engine function, so I
really don't think methods relatiing to it should be attached to the
core engine.  Since IIRC ApacheDS is more like "coordination glue" it
seems to me that given the choice it is a better place.

However I think perhaps an entirely separate component that has a
reference to DirectoryService and knows about the files to load might
be an even better solution?  Also isn't there some code duplication
on this functionality between the server and studio?  I guess my idea
is that this service could be something like a micro-automated-on-
startup studio that runs stuff against the engine but is not really
built into the core.

thanks
david jencks