directory-dev mailing list archives

From "David Montag" <davmo...@student.liu.se>
Subject [GSoC] Project use cases
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:23:13 GMT
Hi,

For those of you who don't know me, my name is David Montag, and I'm a
student studying in Linköping, Sweden. I'm hoping to do a Google Summer of
Code project with Apache Directory.

So, I and Alex have been discussing a GSoC project. A brief initial
description can be found here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxPMGT/Google+Summer+of+Code

I will here present two use cases for the schema<->POJO/POJI mapping. The
mapping could be done using a maven plugin, for example. This is how I
picture the use cases. Please correct my mistakes, and give me feedback.

1. Schema -> POJO
An LDAP server has a Foo objectClass. It may have different kinds of
attributes. The user wants to access and manipulate Foo entries natively in
Java. The plugin reads the schema from the server, and generates some files,
Foo.java being one of them. The user then codes against the Foo interface. I
don't know how the actual persisting of the objects will be done. I imagine
some kind of proxy objects for this. It can be decided later. I also don't
know how Foo objects will be created. Possibly through a factory.

2. POJO -> Schema
A user has a Bar Java class. The user would like this class persisted using
LDAP. The user instructs the plugin to persist the class by adding
annotations to the code. The plugin then generates an LDAP schema from the
Java class. Using additional annotations, the output schema format can be
adapted. The generated schema can then be pushed to the LDAP server. The
user then possibly uses some factory to create Bar objects that are
persistent.

Maybe I'm considering the persistence part too much? Please give me
comments.

Thanks,
David