directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <>
Subject Re: DHCP protocol
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:23:28 GMT
Hi Damjan,

It's me akarasulu from IRC.  We spoke about DHCP there.  More inline ...

On Feb 17, 2008 11:22 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <> wrote:

> Hi
> I'm glad to see that Apache DS does more than just LDAP, but I see
> that the DHCP protocol implementation is very rudimentary - the code
> in SVN trunk indicates is just a skeleton and I've been told nobody's
> working on it any more.

Yes it needs some TLC.

> Anyway I'm interested in improving the DHCP protocol

Looking forward to your working on it.  I will help where I can with
integration into the server.  Really the tough part is the wire protocol -
the rest we can handle very easily.

and I've even
> started writing some code, only to discover that there is no
> "standard" DHCP schema and the one from the IETF drafts expired many
> years ago.

Right.  One option is to devise our own schema and submit it as a new draft.

> That schema also seems to make little sense, everything is
> linked using attributes instead of structured in container
> relationships, there is no documentation on how the objectclasses and
> their attributes are supposed to be used, and it seems at best very
> inefficient - allocating an IP address seems to require a linear
> search through the list of dhcpLeases to find an unused one (for a /8
> network, that's up to 16777216 comparisons).

That's ugly.  I'm sure we can design something better.  Again like I said
just start doing it.  Design a new schema.  I can help out.  And let's just
use that then submit it to the IETF once we've got some good feedback from
users using it.  We may need to tweak this schema.

> I see there were some discussions earlier
> ( and
> people were going to talk to the authors of that draft, any news on
> that?

I think that thread amounted to nothing.  No action.

> Any suggestions on what I should do, try to implement the draft schema
> as I understand it, or invent a new one?
Just do it right and you're schema will become the standard.

View raw message