directory-dev mailing list archives

From Simon.Tem...@saaconsultants.com
Subject Re: ADS 1.5.2 - log4j ERRORs when first starting replicas
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 12:22:04 GMT

"I have also been thinking about making these errors only
report when either the error changes or the replica comes back up (i.e.
when the replica's connection state changes) rather than at every
connection attempt."

Just be careful that we don't get errors then when we perform a graceful
shutdown.  Disconnects between seperate systems will always happen on
startup and shutdown.  Perhaps there's a need for a control protocol to
synchronize start and stop operations between replicas?

- SimonT

31 January 2008 22:16
To: Apache Directory Developers List <dev@directory.apache.org>
cc:
From: Martin Alderson <equim@planetquake.com>
Subject: Re: ADS 1.5.2 - log4j ERRORs when first starting replicas

Hi Simon,

> When using mitosis replication for ADS there is a period of time
> during start-up when one replica cannot connect to another - because
> separate machines rarely start at the same rate.
>
> During this time, ClientConnectionManager logs ERRORs as MINA gets
> 'Connection refused' socket errors.
>
> I'd like to propose that the replication service only logs WARN
> messages for this condition.

Absolutely.  I have also been thinking about making these errors only
report when either the error changes or the replica comes back up (i.e.
when the replica's connection state changes) rather than at every
connection attempt.

I feel like this should be implemented in a generic manner so anything
that logs messages could do the same thing - i.e. only show the message
when it differs from the last shown.

Does anyone know if such a scheme already exists or have any other
comments on this?

Martin