directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] Mavenization status - Remaning issues
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 22:04:50 GMT

On Feb 5, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Felix Knecht wrote:

> Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>> Here is a status on the last issues we have, and some proposals to
>> solve them.
>> *• Studio Maven Repository*
>> The Studio Maven Repository is currently located at http://
>> people.apache.org/~felixk/studio-eclipse-m2/.
>> This is not really an ideal situation and we have to find it a
>> better solution.
>> If all the Eclipse dependencies we need were on the standard Maven
>> repositories, Emmanuel and I think we could get rid of our project
>> specific repository by deploying our studio related jars (studio-
>> launcher, studio-dsml-parser, etc.) on those standard Maven
>> repositories. This way all our dependencies would be on Maven
>> repositories.
>
> Of course we can also use any other available server for this if
> somebody raises the finger saying "I do have enough space,
> bandwith, availability and want to host the needed dependencies on
> my server".

What are the obstacles to getting the required artifacts published to
maven central?

>> As we can't do that at the moment, I propose we switch back to a
>> local maven repository located inside SVN.
>> This is exactly like we're doing with Ant/Ivy at the moment.
>> It takes some extra time when doing a checkout, but it does not
>> create overload on the people.apache.org <http://
>> people.apache.org> server each time we build Studio.
>> I remember, we had that in place some time ago in the Maven build.
>> I also remember there were minor issues, but I can't remember
>> exactly what they were (something like a $local-repository folder
>> created I think). Can someone help me recover my memories ?
>
> Yes, this were the problems we have and probably will have again.

I'm not sure what this solution was.  In geronimo we have a
"repository" subproject for stuff that isn't published.  it has a
repository inside and the pom has dependencies on all of these jars,
and a <repository> tag pointing to it.  Building this project gets
all the dependencies into your local maven repo.  We don't think this
is close to ideal but it works.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/repository

>> Do you think this is a suitable solution and, Felix, it is
>> possible to come back to this solution ?
>
> It can be a way to go. Change the repository url in the root pom ad
> check in the dependencies.
>
>> *• Parent Pom*
>> We currently depend on the 9-SNAPSHOT version of the Directory
>> project pom.
>> This situation forces us to checkout and build Apache DS first,
>> before building Apache Directory Studio.
>> It takes a lot of time... :(
>> I would suggest we use the 8 version of the Directory project pom,
>> the last published version available.
>> WDYT ?*
>
> When I started with the maven build for the studio I said to myself
> "Just take the latest existing dependencies and see if I can get it
> work." From my POV there are objections taking the '8' pom if it
> fits the needs.

You definitely don't want to use a snapshot here... the idea was to
publish a new version of the project pom whenever a change was
needed.  However, you can check out just the parent and build it...
that's just 1 project, about 2 seconds.  Also remember about mvn -N
which does not build any subprojects/children.

thanks
david jencks