directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Damjan Jovanovic" <>
Subject Re: DHCP protocol
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:17:58 GMT
On Feb 18, 2008 11:19 AM, Jörg Henne <> wrote:
>  Alex, Damjan,
>  Alex Karasulu schrieb:
> Hi Damjan,
> >
> > Anyway I'm interested in improving the DHCP protocol
>  Looking forward to your working on it.  I will help where I can with
> integration into the server.  Really the tough part is the wire protocol -
> the rest we can handle very easily.
>  the wire format is, IMHO not/no longer the main problem. We could have a
> working DHCP implementation with a very reasonable amount of work in the
> configuration and state-management area. Protocol-wise there is one
> unresolved issue for which there is no universal and nice solution.
>  Damjan: for a summary of the problem see here:

It's an infamous issue that's been plaguing the wine project as well...

There is a few other possibilities.

You can bind to and attach the socket to a device using
SO_BINDTODEVICE, then you'll only receive UDP broadcasts from that
device; unfortunately that option can be set by root only, but that's
not a problem since you need to be root to open ports under 1024 that
LDAP, DNS, NTP and DHCP use.

Java 7 is supposed to be able to tell you where the packet came from,
at least for Windows >= XP. But I see that bug is still open, guess
Sun hasn't gotten around to it yet.

I'll have to see.

>  Alex, what can we do about the DHCP contribution? I don't think that it
> would make a lot of sense for Damjan to re-implement the stuff
> already has. For DHCP, we are not talking about a lot of
> code - a lot less than even the LDAP mapping. Can't we just contribute this
> without incubation?

What DHCP server does use?

>  Joerg Henne

View raw message