directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject [ApacheDS] Thoughts on Installers and Daemon project
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:08:57 GMT
Hi,

I'm currently looking at the installers, what they are (NSIS, RPM, etc.) and
how they are generated.

Here are a few thoughts I'd like to share with you.

First, I tried to find some documentation on the website describing the way
to generate installers and how they are generated.
I could not find a page dealing about that... :(

This made me dive into the "Installers" projects code to try to see this by
myself.

I was looking for the code which is generating the installer (as a Windows
installer using NSIS, or a RPM package). I finally found, after some time,
that the Maven daemon-plugin is the one that builds the installers.

I saw this plugin was used in the pom.xml file of the 'installers' project
but with this "daemon" prefix I had rejected the idea that the installers
are being built by this one.

I think it would be better for the ease of comprehension of the code to
rename this project as "installers-plugin" (as it has not so much to deal
with daemon actually) and move it to the "Installer space" in SVN (having it
in the "Daemon space in SVN tends to imply that this project has no direct
relation to installers).
WDYT ?

As I'm starting to completely understand how the generation of the
installers works, I propose to write some documentation about it on
Confluence. Where should I write this ? Is there an Apache DS Developer
Guide somewhere ?

I also had a look at the types of installers we produce.
Here are the installers we currently have:

   - .exe Windows installer
   - .rpm Red Hat package
   - .tar.gz (.zip) no-arch installer

I propose to augment theses installers with three new types of installers:

   - a Mac OS X Installer package (.pkg)
   - a Debian package (.deb)
   - a binary installer (.bin), something like a self-extracting archive
   with a shell script installer (that we could use for command line
   installations on Linux)

I already did an installer in each of these forms by hand and they appear to
work well... It's now just a matter of automatizing the generation in the
"daemon-plugin" ("installers-plugin").

This will give us, a full set of native Apache DS installers for each
system.

What do you think ?

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud