directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Studio] Mavenization status - Remaning issues
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 08:33:33 GMT
Hi David,

On Feb 5, 2008 11:04 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What are the obstacles to getting the required artifacts published to
> maven central?

Well, a few things.
There are some Studio specific packages that are too specific to be reused
by any other project (the Studio RCP Application launchers for example). I
don't think they deserve to be spread all around the world on multiple
mirrors.
There are also some Eclipse jars, and I'm not sure if we are allowed to
deploy these jars on a worldwide mirror system. I believe this should be
done by the Eclipse Foundation itself to ensure everything is correct.
There are also some special eclipse plugin like "javax.servlet" for example.
This the javax.servlet original jar but packaged as an Eclipse plugin. This
could be problematic if we deploy this kind of jars on a central repo, as
some people would think this is the 'normal' jar whereas it is the Eclipse
packaged version of it.

> I'm not sure what this solution was.  In geronimo we have a
> "repository" subproject for stuff that isn't published.  it has a
> repository inside and the pom has dependencies on all of these jars,
> and a <repository> tag pointing to it.  Building this project gets
> all the dependencies into your local maven repo.  We don't think this
> is close to ideal but it works.
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/repository

This was also an idea we had but I don't know if it's a good idea as the
server behind is not really built to serve as Maven repository (which
implies a lot of traffic).

You definitely don't want to use a snapshot here... the idea was to
> publish a new version of the project pom whenever a change was
> needed.  However, you can check out just the parent and build it...
> that's just 1 project, about 2 seconds.  Also remember about mvn -N
> which does not build any subprojects/children.

Thanks, I didn't know this command.
Very helpful to get the pom copied on the local repository.

Regard,
Pierre-Arnaud