directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <j.he...@levigo.de>
Subject Re: splay tree for duplicate key cursor implementation
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:58:56 GMT
<head>
</head>
Alex,<br>
Alex Karasulu wrote:<br>
 cite="mid:a32f6b020802121732i1e853dfeib3d08e7c5142b92e@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:ersin.er@gmail.com">ersin.er@gmail.com</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
 style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left:
1ex;">
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:j.henne@levigo.de">j.henne@levigo.de</a>&gt;
wrote:<br>
&gt; ok, btw, what I wanted to mention: there seems to be a very
promising<br>
&gt; (albeit beta) implementation of B-Link trees at<br>
&gt; <a moz-do-not-send="true"
 href="http://code.google.com/p/simpledbm/" target="_blank">http://code.google.com/p/simpledbm/</a>
with excellent documentation.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Unfortunately, it has the wrong license...<br>
We can just ask for a license change ;-)<br>
Yes yes can someone explore this option?&nbsp; Ersin, J&ouml;rg do you think you
can approach them?<br>
good news: I did approach him and he is open to releasing his project
under a license what would allow us to use it. In fact, he is working
on making SimpleDBM an optional storage backend for Derby, see <a
 class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
 href="https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3351">https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3351</a>
and <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
 href="https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3405">https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3405.</a><br>
He even recommended we use Derby itself, but the discussion in the
issues above indicates that this would not be a easy route to go: the
tight coupling of Derby's storage layer would probable prevent us from
using it as a backend engine just like it makes it hard for him to use
SimpleDBM as a Derby backend.<br>
So, in conclusion, I think that SimpleDBM is an option we should
definitely keep an eye on.<br>
Joerg Henne<br>