directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <>
Subject Re: DHCP protocol
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:25:57 GMT
Damjan Jovanovic schrieb:
> There is a few other possibilities.
> You can bind to and attach the socket to a device using
> SO_BINDTODEVICE, then you'll only receive UDP broadcasts from that
> device; unfortunately that option can be set by root only, but that's
> not a problem since you need to be root to open ports under 1024 that
> LDAP, DNS, NTP and DHCP use.
The problem with this solution is that it doesn't properly work under
Windows. We tried that :-/
Plus: one needs JNI for SO_BINDTODEVICE, although JNA does the trick
rather painlessly.
The solution we currently use is to have several front-end
implementations depending on the underlying OS.
> Java 7 is supposed to be able to tell you where the packet came from,
> at least for Windows >= XP. But I see that bug is still open, guess
> Sun hasn't gotten around to it yet.
> I'll have to see.
I have little hope that this will make it into the release...

> What DHCP server does use?
We don't do DHCP but PXE, which is a protocol used to inject network
boot configuration and is based on DHCP. For DHCP there is a
proof-of-concept implementation, but no backend. The code uses is based on the ADS DHCP code, but has been
extended to make it actually work :-)

Joerg Henne

View raw message