directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <j.he...@levigo.de>
Subject Re: DHCP protocol
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:06:51 GMT
Damjan,

good to hear there is more interest in the DHCP arena. It could really
use some more contributors.

Damjan Jovanovic schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I'm glad to see that Apache DS does more than just LDAP, but I see
> that the DHCP protocol implementation is very rudimentary - the code
> in SVN trunk indicates is just a skeleton and I've been told nobody's
> working on it any more.

you are right, the current code base is very rudimentary. I have been
working on driving the DHCP implementation towards being usable.
Unfortunately, The inclusion of this contribution is currently pending
due to open questions regarding the need to incubate the contribution as
it has been developed outside the project for some time. For its current
status see this message:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-dev/200712.mbox/%3c4766CD8C.60305@levigo.de%3e
towards the bottom (PXE proxy).
> Anyway I'm interested in improving the DHCP protocol and I've even
> started writing some code, only to discover that there is no
> "standard" DHCP schema and the one from the IETF drafts expired many
> years ago. That schema also seems to make little sense, everything is
> linked using attributes instead of structured in container
> relationships, there is no documentation on how the objectclasses and
> their attributes are supposed to be used, and it seems at best very
> inefficient - allocating an IP address seems to require a linear
> search through the list of dhcpLeases to find an unused one (for a /8
> network, that's up to 16777216 comparisons).

Yes, absolutely - I stumbled upon exactly the same problem. There is
very little documentation about how this is meant to work. And no
documentation towards the container relationships.
> Any suggestions on what I should do, try to implement the draft schema
> as I understand it, or invent a new one?

As stated in the linked message, there is, even in the mentioned
contribution, no full DHCP implementation. However, protocol- and
message format-wise there is already quite a lot that is working and
usable. I see the majority of required effort in the configuration and
state handling area - i.e. the stuff that ends up in the directory and
is/should be covered by the DHCP schema.
Since the DHCP schema is unusable in its current state, I'd recommend
implementing it the way you/we understand it and fixing the
specification as we go along.

Joerg Henne