directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <j.he...@levigo.de>
Subject Re: [ServerEntry] We may need our own JDBM code base
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 14:14:24 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:
> Any other solution in mind ?
not having done any work on the backend makes it impossible for me to
make well-founded comments on the issue. However, the recent discussion
around splay trees and the problems with the current JDBM layer got me
thinking that the requirements of the database layer are almost entirely
identical to those of the RDBMS:
- entries are reasonably similar to tuples
- all indexes are essentially secondary indexes
- DNs are are similar to a primary key, but may also be treated like a
secondary one.

Some not-so-lateral thinking brings up the question of whether it is
really necessary to invent another wheel. The idea may be totally silly,
and the required effort may easily make the think not worthwhile, but
what about having a look at Derby's store layer:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/StoreLayerLinks
and in particular http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/btree_package.html

Joerg Henne