directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] Mavenization status - Remaning issues
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:10:55 GMT

>> Yes, this were the problems we have and probably will have again.
>
> I'm not sure what this solution was.  In geronimo we have a
> "repository" subproject for stuff that isn't published.  it has a
> repository inside and the pom has dependencies on all of these jars,
> and a <repository> tag pointing to it.  Building this project gets all
> the dependencies into your local maven repo.  We don't think this is
> close to ideal but it works.
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/repository
We have the very same system for Studio, when building thing with ant.
And it works. And I personally find it a much better solution than any
remote repository, because every single jar you push into it has a svn
version : you can rebuild Studio version x.y.z anytime, even if an idiot
change a jar. Call it configuration management.

I like this solution.
>> When I started with the maven build for the studio I said to myself
>> "Just take the latest existing dependencies and see if I can get it
>> work." From my POV there are objections taking the '8' pom if it fits
>> the needs.
>>
> You definitely don't want to use a snapshot here... the idea was to
> publish a new version of the project pom whenever a change was
> needed.  However, you can check out just the parent and build it...
> that's just 1 project, about 2 seconds.  Also remember about mvn -N
> which does not build any subprojects/children.
The project subproject just contains global information and tools for
ADS (script to clean some stuff, etc). Otherwise, it's useless for
Studio. You can use version 8.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com