directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] Mavenization status - Remaning issues
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:01:28 GMT
One more bug, on Mac OSX...

The (undocumented, as usual ...) maven-depdendency-plugin fails while
trying to unpack the mac app. The reason is that the file name contains
spaces. Sadly, Maven plugin are built on top of plexus, which is not an
Apache piece of code (it's at codehaus), so the only thing we can do is
to open a JIRA on Maven, which I did. We are not the only ones being hit
by this bug (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEP-137)

I don't see any kind of workaround but renaming the file to
Apache-Directory-Studio.app.

May be invoking a ant task which will rename the file to Apache
Directory Studio.app after the unpack has been done can do the trick
(yes, I know, it's ugly, but this is the only workthefuckaround I can see).

I would suggest that we release 1.1 using ant, and forget about maven at
this point, waiting for a fix.

Ant works well, maven is a plague...

<rant>
Now, I must say that, once again, maven talks by itself when it comes to
do "tricky" things ant can do easily. I think Felix and Pierre-Arnaud
have spent more than one month to "mavenize" Studio, and to some extend,
I start to think it's a high price to pay to find that :
- maven is hard when it comes to do things which are not obvious
- the documentation is a shame, to say the least
- it's time consuming to establish a working build
- its code is pretty impossible to read
- it depends on plexus, which is not an ASF project
- the logs are pathetic
- it's *not* a configuration management system
- it can't be managed by idiots, you have to have a 180 IQ, at least,
which is far from being my case... (yes, I'm an idiot)

Get away from maven as much as possible !!!
</rant>

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com