directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] Mavenization status - Remaning issues
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:34:46 GMT
Felix Knecht wrote:
> Just some thoughts when talking about releasing this and that:
>
> With the change from ant/ivy to maven we don't have the dependencies
> needed anymore store in the source repository itself. A released
> component should not contain any *-SNAPSHOT dependencies. So with the
> shared module we're on a good way but what about all others which are
> needed?
Shared is a very special case : as there was a bug which needed to be
fixed, the Studio build used SNAPSHOT, because the bug has been fixed in
trunk.

In any case, using SNAPSHOTs for other directory parts *is* bad.

> During development we use SNAPSHOT dependencies of other directory
> modules.
Not really a good politic. ADS has its own life, and so does Studio, so
as a rule of thumb : *don't* use SNAPSHOT, never !
> Are the deployed somewhere on a regular base?
They are. As soon as we deliver a release, it's available on Maven repo.
There is no need to use SNAPSHOTs
> I don't think it's good practice to have a user checkout and build all
> depending directory modules before he's able to build studio from trunk.
That's so true !!!

I would also add that you should *never* use a SNAPSHOT for any kind of
Maven plugin. Doing so is like walking on fire : you will get burn at
some point !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com