Make sure if you create indices on the attributes that you use in the search and make sure that you reload the data.  Yeah you need to rebuild that index or it will not function properly.  More data is needed though to understand what's going on.

We had an API tool that allowed rebuilding an index but that got tossed to the side.  It needs to be put back and enabled before users like you are screwed.

Alex