I guess this is due to clients that do not unbind or stay connected for a long time?   You using persistent search anywhere?

In either case I would look into the LDAP protocol provider code.  You could hack the code so that a sweeper checks MINA sessions every now and closes them if they have been idle for some time: there is a MINA Session idleTime() or something like that to look up the idle time of a session which represents the amount of time passed since data was transmitted or received between the client and the server.

Alex