Hi Felix,

The ApacheDirectoryStudio.xpm file in the linux distributions is just the Apache Directory Studio icon. It is only specific to Linux and should not be bundled with Mac OS X and Windows distributions (where the executables already have the correct icons).

Here's what any Linux (x86, x86_64 or ppc) distribution should look like:
+--ADS-{profile}
  +-- ApacheDirectoryStudio
  +-- ApacheDirectoryStudio.xpm
  +--> plugins
  +--> features
  +--> configuration
  +-- LICENSE.TXT
  +-- NOTICE.TXT
  +-- Release Notes.txt

Here's what the Windows distribution should look like:
+--ADS-{profile}
  +-- Apache Directory Studio.exe
  +--> plugins
  +--> features
  +--> configuration
  +-- LICENSE.TXT
  +-- NOTICE.TXT
  +-- Release Notes.txt

And, here's what the Mac OS X distribution should look like:
+--ADS-{profile}
  +--> Apache Directory Studio.app
    +--> Contents
      +-- Info.plist
      +--> MacOS
        +-- ApacheDirectoryStudio
      +--> Resources
        +--> Java
          +--> configuration
          +--> features
          +--> plugins
        +-- studio.icns
  +-- LICENSE.TXT
  +-- NOTICE.TXT
  +-- Release Notes.txt

I'll try to modify the assembly-decriptors to get these schemes.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

On Jan 3, 2008 11:51 PM, Felix Knecht < felixk@apache.org> wrote:

> Log:
> Adapt the build process for distributions.

I adapted the poms and added comments (studio/pom.xml) about how it should work.
Still different things todo:
- I'm not sure about the structure of a distributed application. Except for macosx I think it should look like

+--ADS-{profile}
  +-- ApacheDirectoryStudio
  +-- ApacheDir...xpm
  +--> plugins
  +--> features
  + ...
To get this as easy as possible I 'unprefixed' the launcher-linux-1.1.0.zip and put it in launcher-linux-1.1.0.tar.gz
(BTW you can preserve permission (like execute) in tarfiles).
For the 2 other launchers I haven't done yet, so the ApacheDirectoryFile(.xpm) is missplaced in the dist.

- I still can't start the distributed application for linux (but time's running out for this evening)
- The macosx "hack" Pierre-Arnaud mentioned in [1] is probably done best by adapting the assembly-descriptor to copy
 the files into the mentioned 'hidden inside' folder.

Regards
Felix

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-dev/200801.mbox/%3c98d8c0860801030945od2fc1fdm3cdc9a1b5dbab2ac@mail.gmail.com%3e