I really like the idea of an exception hierarchy specific to partitions (the root cause from the underlying data store would always be made available anyway).  Like Ersin mentions, Spring does something similar with their DAO abstraction on top of Hibernate, JDBC, etc. and I think it works really well, but I do think checked exceptions are more pertinent in our use case.

I support option 3.