directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Norval Hope" <>
Subject ApacheDS and ipv6 support on windows
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:10:13 GMT
Hi All,

I was recently flabbergasted to find out that no Sun JDK 1.5+ supports NIO
sever support over ipv6 on any version of Windows (due to lack of support
for dual-mode sockets in the underlying Windows stack implementation), and
that the situation is only likely to be resolved in the future in JDK 7 on
top of Vista (refer ).

Hence my current understanding is that clients who want ApacheDS to listen
on an ipv6 socket at start-up will have to use a Unix variant on which the
JDK doesn't suffer this problem. Have I missed / misunderstsood anything
here, or is there perhaps another JDK implementation with an enhanced NIO
implementation (or some other cunning technique) that may represent a "get
out of jail" card for me and my clients as far as pre-Vista Windows is

Many thanks.

View raw message