directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [OT] Interesting Articles about CS Degree's and Business
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:37:37 GMT
Hi,

A friend just pointed me to this first article which lead me to the
next one below it.

   http://weblog.raganwald.com/2008/01/no-disrespect.html

Both are very interesting to read and I loved them.  This second one
is so true when it comes to all the fads that come up to just reinvent
the wheel - a CS degree decreases this since according to the author
it's is all about history.

   http://enfranchisedmind.com/blog/2008/01/21/what-good-is-a-cs-degree/

Oh yeah, that the Dragon Book talked about in the article above:

       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles_of_Compiler_Design

Was written by my professor, Alfred Aho.  I think I had him for Data
Structures and Algorithms, Software Engineering, but unfortunately not
Compiler Theory :-).  He used to tell the class that "everything is a
String. Just a String.  Even your genetics is just a String."

How right he is.

Alex