directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [ApacheDS] Partition design and interfaces
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:45:48 GMT
Hi all,

Different underlying stores have different kinds of checked exceptions they
throw at the lowest level.  For example JDBM is humble and just uses IO
exceptions.  The JE authors use an exception hierarchy based on
DatabaseException.  I was wondering if there was a preference out the base
class for what exceptions are thrown from partitions?  Right now there are a
few options:

(1) Throw exceptions that extend IOException (works well with JDBM)
(2) Throw NamingExceptions works well with Java Naming but we have a bad
taste in our mouths from this.
(3) Create our own base class for exceptions thrown at these lower layers
like say PartitionException

Right now I went with IOException but I'm thinking it might be biased
towards a particular partition implementation.  Does anyone have some
opinion one way or the other?

Alex