directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [Releases] Our contract with our users (was: Re: [Feedback needed] ADS pros and cons ?)
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 18:17:43 GMT
Emmanuel,

You made some very good points in your email to Simon.

On Jan 9, 2008 10:22 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:

> At some point in the future, we will try to avoid such situations, and
> to release intermediate versions (like 1.5.2, etc) to include some bug
> fixes. This is what we did with 1.5.1, a bug-fix release.

I know you meant we fixed a lot of bugs in 1.5.1 in addition to other things
but I just want to be very clear to users that, 1.5.1 may have fixed bugs
but it was an experimental release which also introduced potentially
destabilizing new features.  I just want to make sure the words we use don't
confuse our users into thinking 1.5.1 was a bug-fix on a GA release.  I
don't want to aggravate users when they switch and see a bunch of API's have
changed.

My primary concern here is in protecting our promise to users.  1.0.1, 1.0.2...
1.0.x are stablizing and (should) only be bug fix releases with no API
changes.  1.5.1, 1.5.2 ... 1.5.X are potentially destabilizing and may break
with the API and formats for storage etc.  Our promise to users is simple.
You should be guaranteed to be safe upgrading from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 for
example.  But don't expect this on experimental branches which are in the
trunk.

Alex