directory-dev mailing list archives

From Simon.Tem...@saaconsultants.com
Subject Re: [Feedback needed] ADS pros and cons ?
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 13:57:15 GMT

1)

We embed ADS in JBoss along with our commercial middleware product.
Our products are live in many large businesses throughout the UK and
Europe.
We use DS to support Single Sign On to our browser based applications.
We use DS to manage a variety of information relating to message exchange
between 'trading partners'.
We install our products (inc. ADS) on IBM iSeries (OS400), IBM pSeries
(AIX), Solaris, HP-UX, Linux and Windows Server platforms.

2)

Pros:
- It's java and can be embedded in JBoss.
- The License allows redistribution within our product.
- It has a reliable LDAP interface so our none java product can also
maintain content.

Cons:
- Changes between revisions are so significant it makes it difficult to
upgrade current installations.
    - Persistent storage became incompatible between revisions causing
support/upgrade problems.
- Possible corruption of persistent storage when JVM is killed.
- Switching JDK versions between ADS 1.0 and 1.5 made upgrade of many
systems impossible (E.g. Upgrading JDK requires a new operating system
version on some IBM platforms).
- Bug fixes/patches are mainly applied to current trunk only which forces
us to take the latest version (or SNAPSHOT!) to get defects resolved - the
alternative being to maintain a branch of the source in-house which is
something we always try to avoid for obvious reasons.
- Significant interface changes between revisions has led to regular rework
of our service container (our JBoss SAR implementation)

3)

** I'd prefer no new features combined with a long period of stability and
maintenance **

However, my top two improvements would be:

- Solid, proven, replication implementation (mitosis?)
- Alternative persistence providers ( J2EE data source or JPA Provider ? )

4)

We are a commercial entity

5)

ADS is very good and I like and respect the guys who work so hard to
deliver it.

IMHO:

- ADS would benefit greatly from a sustained period of consolidation and
stability - no new JDKs, no more changes to public interfaces, no massive
refactoring exercises.
- Fixes to ADS should be routinely applied to the stable release as well as
the trunk.
- I'm convinced that a well maintained, well document, long lived, stable
release is the only way ADS will gain widespread commercial implementation.

- SimonT

07 January 2008 16:01