directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Studio] Mavenization status - Remaning issues
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:11:46 GMT
On Jan 21, 2008 10:00 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:

> I found out this link (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Product_Customization ) on
> a thread called "How to disable IDE-specific workbench action".
>
> I'm going to investigate on that a little before posting. I think this
> link can help us our problem (or at least a part of it).

I tested the process described on this page but I could not manage to get it
working.
The plugins I have created to override the plugin.xml files dynamically at
runtime are loaded successfully but they actually don't modify any
plugin.xml file (and I can't debug it !!! :( ).
I've opened a thread on the Eclipse ML about it. I'll follow the answers to
this thread.

I found other threads about our subject on the Eclipse ML. One post is a
great summary of the suitable solutions to our problem. Let me quote it
here:

On 23/03/07 14:12, Alex Blewitt wrote on the Eclipse ML:

> You've got a few choices:
>
> 1) Edit the org.eclipse.ui plugin and remove the unwanted extensions from
> plugin.xml. Easiest, but you have to do it each time org.eclipse.ui is
> updated.
>
> 2) Copy the code out from org.eclipse.ui into org.yourown.plugin and use
> that instead. More difficult, plus you still have to do it each time.
>
> 3) Look at the plugin.xml transformation code that Kim was working on
> http://eclipse.pookzilla.net/2006/10/context-capability-and-perspective.php

Solution 3 is the solution I tested without success.
Solution 1 is the one we were talking about lately.
Solution 2 is a "rebundle" of the plugin code. As Alex Blewitt says, it's
more difficult than the simple modification of the plugin.xml file.

I think we should reconsider solution 1 as a temporary solution, to be able
to release the 1.1 RC version of Studio.
Of course, if we manage to get solution 3 to work later, it will be much
cleaner solution.

WDYT ?

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud