directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Studio] Propose Apache Directory Studio to the 'Eclipse Community Awards' ?
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:17:26 GMT
Ok. Cool.

Here's the form we have to fill out.
I added a first draft for answers, so you can help me and improve them.

We still have some time to prepare this as the deadline is friday.

1. Category of award

Best Open Source RCP Application

2. Name of person submitting award

Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot

3. Contact information of person (telephone and e-mail)

Phone: +33 6 ** ** ** ** (Note: My phone number will not be hidden in the
final document)
Mail: pamarcelot@apache.org

4. Name of product

Apache Directory Studio

5. URL of product

http://directory.apache.org/studio

6. 100 word description of product

Apache Directory Studio is a complete directory tooling platform intended to
be used with any LDAP server however it is particularly designed for use
with the Apache Directory Server.
Developed at the Apache Software Foundation as a sub-project of the
Directory Top Level Project, Apache Directory Studio is an Eclipse RCP
application that takes full advantage of the benefits inherent in the
Eclipse platform. Composed of several Eclipse (OSGi) plugins, Apache
Directory Studio can be easily upgraded with additional plugins. Apache
Directory Studio plugins can even run within a full installation of Eclipse
itself.

7. Description of the usability features

Apache Directory Studio is composed of 5 major features :
    * The LDAP Browser Plugin is a tool for browsing, searching and editing
entries on an LDAP Server. It works with any LDAP Server.
    * The LDIF Editor Plugin can be used to edit LDIF files. It provides
syntax highlighting and content assistance.
    * The ACI Editor Plugin enables the user to configure Access Controls of
the Apache DS.
    * The Schema Editor Plugin is intended to edit the Schema of an LDAP
Server (object classes and attribute types). The Plugin can dynamically edit
the Schema of an Apache Directory Server and load/save schemas files from/to
OpenLDAP schema format.
    * The Configuration Plugin for Apache DS can be used to edit the
configuration file of the Apache Directory Server.

8. Description of why and how the product uniquely solves a particular
problem. Ensure you also explain the problem.

Apache Directory Studio features a full featured LDAP Browser which can be
used to browse, search and edit entry on any LDAP Server. Its Eclipse-based
user interface gives it an instant comprehension of its features and how
they works.
TO BE CONTINUED...

9. Description of the completeness of the solution, including the
technology, but also documentation, white papers, tutorials, and web site.
Include everything you think is important for your customers to be
successful with the product.

Apache Directory Studio is a complete Directory Tooling platform, including
everything that can be useful for users working with directories and LDAP
technologies. Apache Directory Studio uses all the underlying features
inherited from its Eclipse base.
Views, Editors, Wizards, Preferences, Jobs, the Apache Directory Team has
tried to use every technology proposed by the Eclipse RCP platform.
Each feature provides a comprehensive user guide available in the embedded
help system, on the website (
http://directory.apache.org/studio/users-guide.html), or in PDF.
TO BE CONTINUED...

10. OPTIONAL: Feel free to send a 3-5 minute screen cam demo of your product

I will prepare a 3-5 minutes screen cast of Studio later today or tomorrow.
If you have ideas of a scenarios for it, feel free to post it. ;)

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud