directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][Mitosis] Testing
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:57:37 GMT
Martin Alderson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for any opinions or guidelines on how critical it is to create tests for
each bug fixed.  Personally, I have been trying hard to create a test for each bug I fix to
protect against regressions but for some of the mitosis bugs that are dependent on timing
it is very hard to create a test that will always succeed.

Yes, ideally, each fixed bug would have it's associated test. This is
not only for avoid regressions, but also because it covers one more dark
corner with some test.

For time-dependent issues, this is really tricky.

I would say that it's a best effort approach. If you can't write a test
due to the overly complexity, eh, nobody's perfect !
> Should I steer well clear of timing dependent tests or should I always try and come up
with a test, even if it may prove frail?

I would say again: do your best, but don't spoil your time when it can
be used more efficiently for other tasks. We have users all around the
planet, they will find bugs, and we will be fix them. This is not to say
we should not write tests, or that we can be lazzy, or that users are
our testers, but this is the real world. Don't expect to deliver a bug
free product, this is a dream...

I would also add that from the developper POV, what we lack is not that
much tests, but documentation and specification. I'm pretty sure that
almost nobody knows how the current replication works. Even for our
users, I don't know if we have any valuable piece of documentation which
explains how to setup replication.

A minimum set of dev documentation can be the best way to find potential
bugs. When it comes to asynchornous mechanisms, brain and luck are the
best tools to find potential bugs and potential regression, IMHO.

I hope it helps !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com