directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Oracle > BEA & Sun > MySQL
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2008 07:48:43 GMT
Ersin Er wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I said this is Off-Topic but I am really annoyed about these very
> recent acquires:
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/01/16/1754227.shtml
> http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/08/01/16/135243.shtml
>
> You may think this is plain normal but it still feels bad.

Business, as usual... One member of my familly, former big shot in a
huge company, told me that when a company start to spend its money to
buy other smaller companies or to give it back to the stake holders -
like M$ did 2 years ago - it means they don't have anything more to say ...

> ASF needs to do more ;-)

Well, if you consider that many committers and members are working for
companies like IBM, Sun, Oracle, Google, BEA... (name it, it's just a
blind guess as I have no clear idea about everyone affiliation), I just
understand why the ASF won't do anything. And I hope they won't !

Of course, everyone of us can hav its own opinion, and is entitled to
tell about, that the beauty of the ASF !

Last, not least, as mentioned by some guy, it's interesting to see that
Sun paid 1 billion $, out of which 800 M$ where in cash, to buy an OSS
company !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com