directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <j.he...@levigo.de>
Subject Re: Entry serialization
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:10:16 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> as I need to rewrite the serialization for ServerEntry,
> ServerAttribute, ServerValue, DN, RDN and AttributeTypeAndValue, I
> have had some ideas, and I would like to know your opinion :
>
> - what about adding a flag to tell the serialization methods (those
> classes are Externalizable) to encrypt/decrypt the data on disk ? Tis
> would be a much better solution than to define an encryption option to
> be added to all the attributes (like "cn;encrypted=fR5*za"). All the
> data will be encrypted before being serialized to disk. It would be
> off by default, of course
To make the encryption cryptographically sound, the message to be
encrypted must be sufficiently random. In a scheme where each entry is
encrypted individually, this requires an initialization vector (i.e.
some random bits) which amounts to relatively high percentage of wasted
space. A scheme where the encryption happens in larger chunks (e.g.
B-Tree nodes or pages) will typically have better "randomness" in the
first place and reduce the space wasted by the iv.
I don't know how the storage engine works at the bottom end, but I'd
guess that this would be a better place to do encryption.

Joerg Henne