directory-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Swanson <m...@ScheduleWorld.com>
Subject Re: [Feedback needed] ADS pros and cons ?
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2008 22:09:47 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi !
>
> This is the very beginning of 2008, and we are all working hard to get a
> 2.0 out in the next few months. At this point, we think it's a good
> timing to get some feedback from you, users and developpers ! Here is a
> short list of question you may answer, but this is very up to you. We
> don't need names ( "I'm working for company XYZ" ), this is just
> informational.
>
> *Keep in mind that those informations will appear on the
> Apache ML and many other, so if you think that any confidential piece of
> it should not be disclose, then don't answer !*
>
> 1) What are you using ADS for ? Is it in production, used to do some
> tests during developpement, or simply as a toy ?
Production.
> 2) What are the Pros and Cons you clearly see ?
I've posted lots of Pros to the list. A short summary:
1. It's in Java. Important to me because I extend ADS for
authentication, authorization and much more and Java is my preferred
language.
2. It's incredibly extensible. I was able to customize it to integrate
with my environment exactly how I wanted.
3. The implementation of LDAP is excellent. I have had zero
interoperability problems because of ADS.
4. The error reporting and detailed logging is excellent. This just
makes it easy to reverse engineer wacky issues with specific clients.
It's been a boon when extending ADS too.

Any cons I had seem to be addressed in the upcoming version.

> 3) What would be the major features or improvement you are expecting to
> see in the near future ?
I can't think of any.
> 4) Are you a commercial entity, an non-for profit organization, an
> Apache project, a student or an individual just interested in the techno
> ? (no name needed)
Commercial.
> 5) Any other opinion or feedback you would like to share with us ?
I'm not up on the latest ADS, but I think any extra effort you folks put
into a migration guide would be most appreciated.
> Thank you all for helping us being more aware !
Thanks for writing ADS. ADS is the only product in existence that can
meet my requirements.

Cheers.