directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] Stupid configuration and all those idiotic XML
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2008 04:30:57 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

Happy new year.  It does look like development could be a little friendlier in this case.
 David mentioned that there's a circular dependency that needs to be handled delicately and
it looks like the trace should have a built in fast track fixer as well.

It seems like what you are trying to do should be really simple.  Just load some xml to get
a component initialized so you can run some tests using the initialized component?

When I do that type of stuff I usually create an EMF model (from an XML Schema definition
or Annotated Java Interfaces) and generate the code for it.  This results in the java beans
that will store the configuration.  Then for testing I just create instance of the beans and
initialize them programmatically.  Then the initialized configuration gets passed to the objects
that do the work...

If you think this type of approach might be helpful I can help explore it more with real world
code, etc.  Wish I had some simpler more rapid fixes to suggest.  If you describe the general
process being done in more detail maybe we could come up with some simpler solutions.

One thing that did come to mind as I was reading David's reply is configuration validation.
 It sounds like two components are being initialized and if one component's configuration
is invalid, the other one gets hosed.  So just validating the configuration of the bean could
provide better messages for debugging.  EMF also has a nice validation framework for that
type of stuff.

Cheers,
- Ole