directory-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Swanson <m...@ScheduleWorld.com>
Subject Re: need socket auto-close
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2008 02:32:41 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Mark Swanson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm starting to worry about performance problems and memory issues
>> related to large numbers of open socket connections to ApacheDS.
>> Is there something that can be done now (1.0) to close inactive
>> sockets after a period of time?
>> Or, perhaps just LRU close sockets?
>>
>> If not, what place in the code would you recommend I look? Maybe this
>> is completely encapsulated in mina?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I think this is something you should configure on your system.
> Inactive sockets are closed after some time_wait interval, which
> should be configurable on linux (|tcp_time_wait_interval value)| or
> windows (TcpTimedWaitDelay registry value)
>
> Any other ideas, guys ?

Thank you for your response!

However, I was slightly unclear. Sorry. The connections are in the
ESTABLISHED state. I called them inactive because since there were so
many of them I just assumed clients were pre-connecting and waiting (in
what I called an inactive state) for some time before sending the real
request.

Now that I think about it, clients shouldn't be doing that as that would
be pretty rude :-) So I think I need to add some JMX monitoring code and
figure out what my traffic patterns / connection rates are before I
bother anyone about this. Sorry for the noise.

Cheers.