directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Custine" <ccust...@apache.org>
Subject Installers Update
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:44:53 GMT
I have spoken with a few people about checking out OpenInstaller in the past
few weeks and I wanted to give a quick little bit of information.  I think
the OpenInstaller project would be very cool for building up some consistent
cross-platform installers using a single toolkit.  However, while I was
reviewing the licensing of the dependencies this weekend, I realized that
the packager embeds at least one LGPL product inside the installer package
(primarily CHARVA which looks like the tool used to create text based
installers).  This means that to ship installers based on this toolkit, we
would be shipping LGPL libs embedded in the installer toolkit.  So at this
point I am not sure if there is any point in continuing down that path, but
if anyone has any opinions otherwise let me know.

The alternative for now is to continue to expand the current installers to
additional specific platform packaging (Debian and Sun Pkg manager are
frequently requested), which is something I was trying to help us avoid
since maintenance and consistency of the packages requires a fair bit of
time and interest, neither of which are in abundance.

I have started reviewing the current installers and should have some of the
current issues cleaned up by next weekend, but I can't guarantee that I have
the bandwidth to learn how to create the deb and Sun pkg installers any time
soon so if anyone else wants to lend a hand with that it would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris