Felix,

Damn good idea man!  I love it.  The software can easily inject this information.  However there may be some need to track versions for example when the server.xml is opened manually or someone just posts one to the ML or JIRA.

But this does not make the idea any less cool.  I like it.

Alex

On Dec 28, 2007 1:37 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org> wrote:
Alex Karasulu schrieb:
> Hey sorry I missed this one.  +1 to doing this - its a great idea.
> Perhaps even a section where we have:
>
> <version>
>   <major>1</major>
>   <minor>5</minor>
>   <micro>1</micro>
>   <snapshot/>
> </version>
>
> verses ...
>
> <version>1.5.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>
> This may be overkill though.  WDYT?

Not having much knowledge about the server.xml file, but it's an xml file. So what about a namespace, e.g.
xmlns:adsver="http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5.1/server" ?

Looking at the server.xml a bit closer it looks like a spring-bean definition file. If this configuration file is just
'thrown' in spring it probably makes more sense having a (factory-)bean returning just the version and then injecting
the bean in other beans where ever this could be needful.