Yeah this is a great approach.

I don't think Emmanuel was aware since we might not have talked about it much.  I think I stumbled on it myself at some point and was pleasantly surprised.

I love how just having a dep on this serverxml jar and a line or two in the pom just dumps this server.xml where you want it.  That rocks.  David you make me go "I didn't know you can do that with Maven" quite often.

The only thing that one can possibly find fault with is that if you change the server.xml you kind of have to install it's project it to have it dumped back that way.  I barely notice this though.

Alex

On Dec 17, 2007 5:46 PM, David Jencks < david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

On Dec 17, 2007, at 8:49 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> sorry for rehashing old things but :
>
> There are a few things which could be changed and improved :
> - the UberMain.java class could be renamed to Main.java. It's not
> obvious to everyone that UberMain is the class which launch the
> server...
> - It has been moved to the installers package. It's fine for
> installers, but I think it deserves to be put either in a specific
> project like Server or Launcher
> - We don't have anymore server.xml file anywhere _but_ in the
> server-xml sub-project. Is this project the correct place for
> storing the server configuration? Wouldn't it make more sense to
> have this server.xml file close to the place we launch the server ?

I think the server.xml is used in some integration tests run before
UberMain is available.  There used to be several copies of server.xml
and the current solution at least reduces that to one copy that is at
an easy to find place in the maven repo.  What I want is:

1. only one copy of server.xml
2. accessible through maven for use for example in integration tests
3. independence from anything else (so by replacing it with a
modified server.xml you don't affect anything else).

The only way I know to get these is as a jar published to the maven
repo.

thanks
david jencks