Basically the nexus proxy makes calls to the nexus after these calls are intercepted by each interceptor in the InterceptorChain.  Hence why we call it the NexusProxy.  You stumbled on a particular problem: you're not authenticated yet obviously, but you're trying to go through the chain again and are encountering the authentication interceptor.  You're lucky you got this exception otherwise you would have infinite recursion followed by as nasty OoME.

I don't remember clearly but this version of the server might have bypass instructions for the proxy.  See if there is a method overload for lookup that takes a String[] in addition to the bindDn.  If you put the FQCN of an interceptor into this String array (the second argument) you will bypass that interceptor.  So you probably want to bypass a few of them.

Alex