directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: First version of the LDAP mapper committed
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:22:33 GMT
Hey guys,

I don't mean to be a party pooper especially after asking jorg to
commit work in the sandbox but this was meant more so for future work.
 Right now we may be in a little bit of a bind.  I was trying to
review the code in the remote repo but did not find the time.  The
review was not so much technical but an attempt to understand whether
or not we need to incubate this project from a legal standpoint.
Right now our first impediment is the licencing.  I really would love
to fast track this with a direct import but because it is lgpl we
cannot do that especially without a software grant which includes all
the authors.  The grant will allow us to transfer the license to the
ASF as ASL licensed code. Unforuntately this is part of the IP vetting
process.

I apologize for seeming to advise a direct commit but again I
genuinely referred to all future work which would have helped us avoid
this pain staking process.  If you and the other authors of this
beautiful code did the work here as project committers then there
would be no serious inspection process.  For example we now have to
review dependencies and request CLAs from all authors.

I am sorry for missleading you about any of this.  One of my reasons
for making my recommendation to work with us and in a sandbox in the
future was because I was worried about the PITA this review and
handling of the process was going to be.

My apologies,
Alex