directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <>
Subject [ApacheDS] [Testing] New integration tests framework idea
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2007 01:26:42 GMT
Hi folks,

I had just finished making this new snapshot feature work enough to just
revert changes made in tests to avoid these long integration tests when I
stumbled on a few ideas.  Incidentally this stuff is really cool.  I know
we're not totally where we want to be on it and still need to look into
Howard's draft but it works like a champion for now at reverting state for
testing.  I just saw it turn a test that takes 35 seconds to run happen in
under 5 seconds. So the theory holds and this work was not in vain.

Moving on though I found my self getting well acquainted with JUnit 4.4.  I
really like it a lot.  It's got some room for improvement but where it falls
short it can be extended.  And annotations with testing is a sweet

So I got to thinking about a new framework that extends JUnit 4.4 with a
custom runner and some custom annotations to make testing a breeze, easy to
document and it's components reusable.  I implemented a good chunk of a
prototype and started converting some integration tests to use this new
framework.  Before I continue I'd like some feedback since this will impact
all of us.  I wrote up the idea over here.

View raw message