directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ServerEntry : one more step...
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:32:01 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2007, at 5:02 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>

> I'm afraid I haven't been following this development closely but if
> the new apis are reasonably close to the old ones you might be able to
> automate a lot of the conversion with IDEA's refactoring tools... e.g
> renaming Attribute to ServerAttribute (in the right package) then
> changing method names and signature to match your new ServerAttribute
> method names/signatures.  Once they line up you can put your
> ServerAttribute class back.  I don't know how much of this you can do
> in eclipse.
Well, I'm afraid that the two API are insanely different ;)

The main issue is that we need more informations to build an entry than
we were for Attributes : a DN and accdess to the registries. This make
the automatic conversion virtually impossible.

The second point is that the new API is not stable yet, and this manual
conversion is the best way to discover the small little missing bolts
and nuts. (I wish they don't build planes or car this way !!!)

Last, not least, as I already told Alex, I like to do such tasks
manually because it's the best way to 'see' what's inside the server,
and helps to discover bad code or bad formatting. I'm fixing a lot of
warnings this way. Of course, this is error prone, but not that much.

I'm a little bit old school, too :) I still remember the "printf"
debugger times !

Thanks David !

> hope this helps...
> david jencks