directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <j.he...@levigo.de>
Subject Re: Better working conditions (was: Re: Questions about using 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT)
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:23:38 GMT
Alex,

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> You could work in a sandbox here if you like or in a branch if you did
> not want to cause some problems in trunk.  We just want to make sure
> you feel comfortable committing here.  We voted you in as a committer
> because we saw you were competent and did not want you to have to deal
> with latency on our behalf with applying your changes.
thanks for the encouragement. In fact, I've always found the atmosphere
on this list exceptionally encouraging. My commit reluctance, I guess,
was less related to a lack of confidence in my changes but more of a
process thing (just do it). I'll fix this, promised :-)

>     - Practical reasons like the fact that I am not the only one
>     within our
>     team working on the code. In facht, I have not been working on it for
>     quite some time, while others did.
>

> Ahh I see.  Hey help grow the community and bring these folks here.
> We have a low barrier of entry as you noticed.  They're welcome to
> work on the DHCP code and augment it's community.  If they can submit
> one or two patches and engage the community then karma can be granted
> quickly.  For us karma is not a badge of honor but rather just a
> security mechanism for protection.  It takes little to demonstrate
> that someone is sane and competent :).
I'll talk to them and introduce them to the list. But we probably won't
make it this year, though :-)

>     - A conflict of interests: wearing the openthinclient.org
>     <http://openthinclient.org> cap I am
>     interested in a stable version, so it makes sense to work with one
>     as a
>     starting point. With the Apache DS it is obvious that the trunk is the
>     way to go. Keeping both points of view balanced isn't that easy.
>

> I understand better now.  If there is anything we can do to make it
> easier for you guys to get going here let us know.  I'd like to help
> make sure these complications go away for you and others from
> openthinclient.org <http://openthinclient.org>.
Thanks, sounds great! There are so many areas in which we can cooperate
(in addition to the ones we already discussed, the SAR and OSGi
packaging come to mind), it would be a waste if we didn't.

Joerg Henne