directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <j.he...@levigo.de>
Subject Re: Questions about using 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:33:28 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Why don't you guys just revive the old sar module?  I think Emmanuel
> moved it over to the sandbox after a vote since no one was using or
> maintaining it.
>
> We need to learn how to work better together instead of going away for
> a while and then coming back with stuff to contribute in bulk.  We
> dropped the bar and made several people committers just to facilitate
> this.  It's much easier to just keep committing here on relevant
> pieces with a slow trickle and using that then having things progress
> so much it requires significant time to review and incorporate.
You are absolutely right in that bulk contributions like this are
sub-optimal. There are several reasons for why we dealt with it in the
way I/we (levigo) did, however:

- Reluctance to actually commit code. This may be for whatever reasons -
it being not really production ready or whatever. I felt more
comfortable with bringing the stuff up to a reasonable state within our
own code base and then coming back. Though I can see that the other way
around it would have been more rational: the current DHCP code within
Apache DS, albeit incomplete and non-working, was nevertheless useful
for us as a starting point. Well, I guess this can simply be overcome.

- Practical reasons like the fact that I am not the only one within our
team working on the code. In facht, I have not been working on it for
quite some time, while others did.

- A conflict of interests: wearing the openthinclient.org cap I am
interested in a stable version, so it makes sense to work with one as a
starting point. With the Apache DS it is obvious that the trunk is the
way to go. Keeping both points of view balanced isn't that easy.

Joerg Henne