directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: Object LDAP mapping
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:50:05 GMT
Hi Graham!

Graham Leggett wrote:
> Although not directly related to the directory server itself, I thought I
> would ask here as the concentration of LDAP experts is high :)
>
> Has anybody heard of a Java package that does object to LDAP mapping,
> along the lines of Hibernate or Torque in the land of SQL?
>
> In other words, I would like a Java class hierarchy of objects
> representing LDAP objectlasses and LDAP objects.

JNDI itself offers a simple mapping from LDAP entries to Java objects
and vice versa with the help of so called state factories (Java -> LDAP)
and object factories (LDAP -> Java).

http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/objects/state/index.html
http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/objects/factory/index.html

At least it helps you to abstract from the LDAP schema.

Spring LDAP is another option. It has comparable functionality, but you
get another dependency (JNDI is always present).

http://www.springframework.org/ldap

Both options do not provide transparent mapping like Hibernate does.
Greetings,
     Stefan