Hi Felix

On 11/5/07, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org> wrote:
Alex Karasulu schrieb:

> On 11/5/07, *Felix Knecht* <felix@otego.com <mailto:felix@otego.com>> wrote:
>
>     For the maven build of the Studio I also created some functionality
>     in a maven plugin.
>
>     So we do have now within 3 subprojects of Apache Directory maven
>     plugin functionality:
>
>     apacheds:
>     - apacheds-bootstrap-plugin
>     - apacheds-core-plugin
>
>     daemon:
>     - daemon-plugin
>
>     studio:
>     - maven-studio-plugin (or whatever it'll be named)
>
>     I just wonder if it would make sense to centralize the maven plugin
>     functionality for the Apache Directory project in a
>     new subproject e.g. directory-maven-plugin containing all maven
>     plugin related functionality?
>

> The idea did occur to me a couple times.  Sometimes I was just about to
> do that when it
> just seemed to fan out dependencies across subprojects.  Meaning right
> now we have a
> good breakdown where shared is independent.  apacheds depends on shared
> and studio
> depends on shared.  This new subprject would then have dependencies all
> over.  May not
> be a bad thing if it gives us other benefits.
>
> In terms of benefits it may allow us to release the plugins
> independently but because the
> plugins depend on other projects this may be a false benefit in reality.

I think about
- A subproject 'shared' exists to have shared stuff in one place - even if not everything is used in each project (I
didn't checked this). A projects maven-plugin is a kind of the same, isn't it?

Yeah that was my incentive in the past to consolidate.

- After a short search I haven't found any documentation about the existing maven-plugins. Having them in an own
subproject will give a chance to do the documentation in one place.

True but we can still document them on their own and they are quite distinct in their functionality.

- You'll have 1 plugin name instead of already 4 (which IMO makes it more concise (maybe translation is wrong but if
overviewable is better?)).
- The Apache Directory Project has 1 maven plugin with different goals and not different (distributed) maven plugins in
the subprojects each containing hardly more than one goal.

These two kind of sound to be similar statements - at least I cannot differentiate the two.  I guess you
mean consolidating all the plugins into one directory plugin.  However this might not be as coherent as
it first sounds because the functionality of the different plugins are so different.  Let me list what they do.

apacheds
   o partition plugin builds a schema partition and populates it at build time with data
   o schema plugin parses open ldap format files and converts them to bootstrapping java classes

daemon
   o installer plugin generates specialized daemon wrapper based installers for various operating systems

Did I miss one?

As you can see perhaps all under apacheds can be consolidated but I don't think consolidating the daemon
installer plugin is a good idea since especially this may move out of directory all together into maven if
enough other projects start to use it.

And finally I'm also asking - maybe sometimes stupid - questions to get some more knowledge about and to understand
better why things are done in this or that way in the past.
So please stop me the questions are just too stupid, already discussed and a decision has been made or I open old sores.

No worries!  These are all good questions.  :)

Thanks,
Alex